by Barbara J. Wood
WHITE HOUSE CAFE
Frederick (Fritz) Teltschik
["Uncle Fritz"...... was the legendary Floresville High School band instructor that installed El Rancho Grande as the rallying tune for the team.]
Frederick (Fritz) Teltschik .... was born in 1893 near Wiemer, Texas. He was the first child of the Joseph Teltschik family to be born in the United States.
He was taught to play the violin by his older brother, Henry. At the age of twelve, Fritz and his brothers organized the Teltschik Dance Orchestra. They played for weddings and other celebrations in the Floresville, Texas area.
From 1921-26, Fritz served as director of the Floresville City Band. The band became the Floresville Tiger Band in 1932, and played for County Fairs, city functions, and high school football games.
In 1926, Fritz organized the Floresville Junior Orchestra, composed of his private students.
The Floresville School band was organized in 1937 under the direction of Fritz Teltschik, assisted by the Rev. ROK Heacock. In that 30-piece band, there were nine of Teltschik's nieces and nephews. He became known as "Uncle Fritz" to that band and later to school musicians and directors through the state. His son, Avie, and two daughters, Lorene and Minifred, were also members of that band. In 1941, the Floresville School Band officially became part of the Floresville School System.
"Uncle Fritz" also organized the Teltschik Family Band. The Band still performs at the Wurstfest and for Family Reunions here in Texas and in Germany.
In 1939, "Uncle Fritz" along with five other south Texas directors started inter city band clinics, a forerunner of the District, Region, and State Band concept.
In 1942, he helped organize the Vandercook Band Camp in Seguin and served on the camp's faculty for fifteen years. He received his Bachelor of Music in Chicago in 1955.
The Floresville School Band received personal proclamations from Governor Coke Stephenson in 1943 and 1944 for selling the most War Bonds at their monthly Victory Concerts.
In 1947, Uncle Fritz was honored by being elected a lifetime member of the Gamma Phi Chapter of the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity at SWTSC in San Marcos.
The Floresville Band was chosen to lead the Inaugural Parade for Governor John Connally in Austin in 1963.
During his 27 years as director of the Floresville School Band, his band received eleven Sweepstake Ratings, 85 First Division Ratings, and individual members received 400 First Division Ratings. His band marched at the very first band contest at Alamo Stadium in San Antonio, Texas.
After graduation from high school, many of his students continued their band participation in college and other band organizations. Six became band directors, two were his own children, Avie Teltschik and Minifred Teltschik Aoueille.
Fritz Teltschik retired in 1964 after 54 years of teaching music. That same year he was honored by the Texas Bandmasters Association as Bandmaster of the Year.
Fritz Teltschik died November 8, 1983.
He was known for his wit, humor, and his jocular showmanship. Using his own words, "He never knew a stranger." He was a friend to all. He gave over 3,000 children a love and appreciation for music. His influence is still being felt by those who knew him.
The band hall in Floresville, Texas bears his name, Fritz Teltschik Band Hall. The band hall at Tivy High School in Kerrville, Texas bears the name of his son, The Avie Teltschik Band Hall.
WHITE HOUSE CAFE & SALOON
Marker Text: An important landmark in downtown Floresville, this building dates to the earliest years of the 20th century. Although records have not been found to pinpoint the exact date of construction, it was built sometime between 1902 and 1907. A 1909 newspaper article documents the existence of the White House Restaurant in its second year of operation in the building. Apparently built as a one-story structure, a second story was added by 1912.
About 1910, brothers Henry and Frederick (Fritz) Teltschik, the sons of German immigrants, created a partnership to run the White House Restaurant and lodging here. After 1916, Fritz ran the business by himself and purchased the property in 1921. For the next 50 years, Fritz Teltschik welcomed community meetings, social gatherings and high school students to his restaurant. The White House Café was a popular gathering place in downtown Floresville and retains its historic and architectural character from that time period.
An example of the Victorian Commercial architecture once more common along Texas main streets, the White House Café and Saloon features arched window and transom openings, with brick corbelling on the parapet at the roofline. It remains an important part of the architectural and cultural heritage of Floresville and of Wilson County. (2002)
White House Cafe & Saloon
THE WHITE HOUSE CAFE & SALOON .... all questions ever asked about this landmark is probably answered in this post ... except for one ... actual documented date it was built. Pages are numbered for easy following. Please continue reading past the bibliographies as a rich source of vintage photos are posted... COURTESY/ The Portal to Texas History [Historic Marker Application: White House Cafe and Saloon]