by Barbara J. Wood
Return to "Talk"

TIDBITS

A DOG TAX in Wilson County Texas ???? 

This is part of an article or a letter compiled by Alfred E. Menn, which was found in the files of the Wilson County Historical Commission Archives. Submitted by Gene Maeckel.
 
Simpler times in Wilson County: 1878-79 ...The old Floresville Academy. Ever hear of the old Floresville Academy? It was for males and females. Back in 1878, the Floresville Academy was in a flourishing condition. Professor John Washburn was the principal. The school year was divided into two terms of five months and three days each, making 206 days. Rates: In the Preparatory Department, $2 per month; in the Academical Department, $3 per month; in the Collegiate Department, $4 per month. The Board of Trustees consisted of: Colonel A.G. Pickett, president; A.C. Staudt, secretary; W.C. Rhee (Agee?), treasurer; Judge W.L. Worsham, R.C. Houston, Job Foster, Bennett Johnson, John Griffith, and J.F. Pruett.
 
Wilson County in 1879: 
 
You could have bought a good horse for $10. This had been the year of the severe winter. Sheep-owners in Wilson County had seen heavy losses. C.B. Stevenson and J.W. Anderson were ready in 1879 to start to Kansas with a drove of horses they had purchased from Don C. Delgado of Floresville, 100 head, 50 horses and 50 mares, at $10 per head.
 
At this time in 1879, it was reported that a well-organized band of horse thieves was operating full force in an adjoining county. People had to watch their horses, or they would suddenly disappear.
 
People were urged to join the Floresville Literary Society. Local citizens were warned not to become alarmed because only few cases of smallpox were reported in Floresville.
 
Moving from Yorktown to Floresville in 1879, F. Metting opened a first-class saddle shop.
 
County records had just been placed in the new county safe — Captain Lem
 
Hughes reported that, should the courthouse burn down, he believed the county records would now be safe.
 
Corn was selling in Floresville at $1 per bushel.
 
A flatboat was being used as a "bridge" across the San Antonio River.
 
The business house of J.C. Wallace on the north side of the public square was completed.
 
The water holes in the suburbs were full once more.
 
At this time in 1879, prayer meetings were being held in the Wilson County Courthouse.
 
Eggs were being sold at 10 cents per dozen.
 
It seems that the "dog tax" had just been repealed. Consequently, there were now plenty of canines on the public square.
 
The Rev. Dibrell preached an eloquent sermon at the courthouse on a Sunday morning.
 
A.G. Thomas, proprietor of the Plaza Hotel in Floresville in 1879, decided that the dry weather had produced stock that was too poor for good meat. Since he always had a reputation of serving the best at his tables in the Plaza Hotel, he decided to serve quail on toast.
**********************
COURTESY / Wilson County News